Saturday, August 12, 2006

here's what makes me feel good

I'm walking the girl last night, as I do all nights, when I run into one of my neighbors. We're both a few streets away from our own street, and she says, "That dog gets more exercise than I do." Granted, I'm not all that sure that this person really GETS all that much exercise, but the point was well-taken.

In the beginning with Belly, I was paranoid about making sure she got enough exercise, primarily because she was still a puppy and I lived in an apartment with no yard. So we walked a LOT. We still do. But the point is I used to beat myself up about it on the off days when she didn't get what I considered to be enough exercise.

So yeah, I'm a good dog owner. I'd be the worst parent on god's green earth, but this I think I'm doing pretty well. And that, my friends, is largely because she doesn't have to go to school and interact with other children--this means she can't tell people about the horrors of her home life and the things I say to her when I think nobody's listening.

1 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Isn't that why we have pets? So we can tell them all the crap that's going on, the stupid puns we would never tell anyone else (except maybe you), and they just look at us, thinking, "Will this be followed by a treat?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home