Friday, August 11, 2006

if I didn't keep this blog, where else would I record gems like this?

This post could also have been titled: "Why I love Julie Wonka after all these years"

New cell phone is old news for the blog, I know. No more land line, et cetera. Earlier this week I sent out my new number to friends and family who I thought might care. As I pushed send on the one to Julie and friends, I knew it was the wrong mode of communication for her. I knew it in my soul. But I sent it, hoping she'd read it while sitting at home but guessing she'd probably read it at school, which isn't much use since Julie's far far more likely to call me from home.

As associate director of the Writing Program, Julie's had a busy week, so I decided I'd call last night and ask her how the TA training was going. I began to leave a message when the machine picked up...."Hi Julie, it's me, just wanted to see how your week was and to make sure you've got my new number...."

J: Amy! I'm so glad you called! (exclamation points warranted in this case)

A: I figured you'd been wanting to call but couldn't find my number.

J: Ohmygod. How did you know. Three times this week I went to call you but then thought, "Oh Shit!" Her number's in that damn email. My computer's down here, so it's not online, and I'd have to go upstairs to Rob's computer, which was made in 1982. I couldn't bear it.

A: I knew you couldn't, so I knew I better call. I could just see you going to call me and then dropping the phone and going "Jesus Christ."

J: Exactly! Oh my god how did you know?

A: I know things. I read people.

And then she made me come over so she could feed me homemade pizza with homemade whole-wheat crust and we were both happy. And we spent some time memorizing the new number. Repeat after me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home