Saturday, May 19, 2007

she was loved, this little girl


Kylie with her daddy
Originally uploaded by aerobil.
S. hates having his picture taken, so there are very few photos of him with his doggie wogs, so I took this one (and a few others...click on the photo to get to my flickr account) on Thursday afternoon. While S. was at work on Friday, I had it printed I framed it and it is now displayed proudly in his living room.

Kylie's in the big buffet in the sky, as S. likes to put it, catching up with her brother McFly, a Cairn terrier who lived to the ripe old age of 13. He takes good care of these doggies.

The house is eerily quiet without Kylie, but calmer in some ways too. I don't think S. realized how much he was constantly worrying about her. There's no more worry, just some sadness.

3 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Nels P. Highberg said...

A few days after Auggie died, I started sleeping so well for the first time in weeks. Da Man, too. I hadn't realized how much she was on our minds.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Jonathan Benda said...

Kylie looks like she was a real sweetie.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kylie was the sweetest dog I ever knew, and I'm not saying that just because she's no longer with us. She was always happy, always wanting attention, and only wanted to be loved.

Anytime I would come home, whether happy, sad, angry, tired, whatever, she was at the door or the top of the stairs, wagging her tail in excitement, waiting to be petted.

I didn't realize how much she had gone downhill the past few months. For a dog that was always so excited to go for walks and rides, she got to the point where she was afraid of the leash, kept stopping on walks (she used to be non-stop the entire walk), and fought like crazy going up and down the stairs. The last time I had her in the car, she was so scared that I had to steer with one hand and comfort her with the other.

I probably should have known then, but denial is a wonderful friend when you need it. I made the appointment to have her put to sleep on Saturday morning (the 10th of May) for the vet to come by the following Thursday (5/17), so I had several agonizing days to wait (the vet was out of town until Thursday). It did give me more time to tell her how much I loved her and how sorry I was and how much I would miss her.

When I held her in my arms Thursday as she took her last breath, I told her over and over how much I loved her. I know it was the right decision, but somehow I still feel like I betrayed her because of how much she trusted me to take care of her.

Someday, when my time comes, I know as I approach the gates of Heaven that she will be on the other side, wagging her tail, excited like always to see me, waiting for me to pet her and put my arms around her.

There is no price too steep to pay for the gift of loyalty and friendship.

S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home