Friday, June 29, 2007

on humidity and frizzy hair

S. and I have begun a couple of home-improvement projects at his house, largely because if a social worker ever stopped by the house and saw the state of the carpet, they'd take me away from him. I've begun the grueling process of removing the wallpaper from the hallway bathroom--and let me just say that it's been g.r.u.e.l.i.n.g. But perhaps its best that I chose to begin with this project because the other painting project will seem like a cinch in comparison.

We're painting the living room Old Mill Blue and, though I can't find it on the Dutch Boy website, it's a medium purplish blue. It's gonna look fabulous because THEN we're putting in fake wood floors in the living room, dining room, and hallway, and Jesus H., the house will be completely transformed. The wood furniture in the living room is dark, the couch and sofa are light, and the walls are gonna give the room a burst of color. Fabulous.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about humidity and hair. See, yesterday I figured out that the best way to get the wallpaper to peel off the bathroom walls is to turn on the shower super hot and shut the door. I was in a sauna. The sweat was dripping from all parts of my body. My hair looked like little Orphan Annie's. Let's just say it weren't pretty.

And this reminded me of my 7th grade science project. I wasn't really all that into science, so I went to the library and read through a few books about the weather. I found one such project that demonstrated the effect of humidity on one's hair. I shit you not. All you had to do was get a piece of long human hair (I had to ask many friends for samples, as mine wasn't long enough) and tie it up to this contraption. Turn on the water super super hot and watch as the hair begins to shrink.

The story of my frizzy headed summer life. My project earned an A even though when we turned the hot water on in the science classroom, it didn't get hot enough, so I and another girl took the contraption to the girls' bathroom to turn it on really hot.

My 7th grade science teacher was named Mr. Such. Isn't that a funny name? Mr. Such and Such.

A lifelong battle against the elements. That's what my hair has endured and will continue to endure until I decide to up and move to Arizona.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

What, no picture?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home