Wednesday, June 13, 2007

slice of small-town Illinois life

On Friday night, S. and I and another couple went to the booming town of Secor, Illinois (population 400) for their sesquicentennial festival. That's like, this town has been around for 150 years. And um, they still have a population of only 400. What's up with that? The reason we went was that C.'s guitar teacher was playing in the band, and they were actually quite good once we found the band/beer tent, ALL THE WAY around the corner from where we parked. This festival had a total of four port-a-pots--that's one per 100 people, not including the out-of-towners--make that one per 101 people. And when beers cost only a ticket and you get 6 tickets for $10.00, that's a lot of beers to go through you rather quickly. My point: there should've been more than 4 pots.

S. has been on me the last few days to blog about his big win at the Secor fest. There was a game where you had to throw the baseball as fast as you could into the "catcher's" glove. The first time you threw it, the carnie person would tell you how fast you threw it. Based on that, you had to predict how fast the next throw would be. S.'s first throw was 45. Not bad. He thought it was bad, but hey, I was impressed. Then, a wee bit disgusted with himself, he predicted that his next throw would be 47. And he was right! Holy shitters. He won a stuffed cardinal, which we promptly recategorized as a Redbird thankyouverymuch, and he didn't even give it to me! What kind of honey doesn't give his prize to his girl?

The kind who has to listen to the rest of us saying that the bird can be sold in our upcoming garage sale.

well huh.

Speaking of the upcoming garage sale, people, it's gonna be a doozy. June 23. Mark your calendars. It'll be at S.'s house because, ahem, most of the stuff we're selling will be his. But the redbird won't be for sale. Sorry.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm feeling a need to defend myself. I was going to give the redbird to Amy until she mentioned that it could be put in the garage sale (you know, the one that I had no say about).

Also, the speed on my fastball has obviously dipped quite a bit. It is probably due to a combination of:
1) age
2) not being in shape
3) not being warmed up
4) the place where you throw being on a slant at the bottom of the road ditch. One my "winning" pitch, I ended up on a slant & fell down. But hey, I still got the bird!

S.

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met someone today who was so disappointed you weren't here. You should have seen her face drop.
=( Marcea told her you were busy and she just looked shocked, like what could you possibly be doing?

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger aerobil said...

Oh, it's nice to be wanted. I did make some good friends there last year... tell 'em all I'm home writing a book. Or trying to anyway...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home