Thursday, May 24, 2007

the things I'll do to find these chips

I should be getting paid to say all this, btw.

I love Snyder's flaxseed gold multigrain tortilla chips. Love them very much. Deeee-licious and good for you, too. I first found them at the pricey grocery store in town--Schnuck's--but they haven't had them for a while. Last night I went to Schnuck's for burgers and buns and, specifically, these chips, but they didn't have them and I was very very sad. When I got to S.'s house, I went to the Snyder's website to see if I could buy them online (they're that good). Well, turns out you can, but only in cases of 12. Will we EAT 12 bags of chips this summer? Probably, but just to be sure we can't find them anywhere in town, I went on a journey. I had some time on my hands while S. was mowing the lawn, so I went to Jewel first. Nope. They carry the line, but not the flaxseed gold for some reason. Then I went to Cub. Nope. I already knew Kroger didn't carry them, so I didn't bother going there.

And then.

Horror of horrors. I just wanted to run through all of my options before spending $39.99 on a case of chips. I went to the Evil Empire. Wal-mart. Thinking for sure they'd have them and they'd probably be 50 cents cheaper per bag. I found the chip aisle. I tried not to look at all the stuff in the Evil Empire for so cheap. As I walked to the chip aisle, I found myself understanding the draw of the place. It's so huge. And bright. And shiny. And cheap.

And I reminded myself of their business practices.

I got to the chip aisle. Three quarters of the aisle was taken up by Frito Lay products. No Snyder's anything. Not pretzels. Not tortilla chips. And somewhere inside I breathed a little sigh of relief. Snyder's doesn't do business with Wal-mart, I'm assuming. This is why a case of chips is $39.99.

I returned home to find S. still mowing. I had no flaxseed gold tortilla chips. I won't order my case now because we're leaving for NC tomorrow. There's always the chance that I'll find them in a store there and can just carry back three or four bags on the plane. But if not, I'm hoping Belly doesn't yell too much at the UPS man when he comes. After all, he'll be delivering a box of gold.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You went to WALMART!! Hahahaha...*falls off chair laughing*

Those MUST be some darn good chips!

Hope your summer is splendid...
~Brianne

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be the party-pooper, but just because a product is made with healthy ingredients in a healthy manner does not mean it is healthy or good for you.

Read the label. The size of the package is 9 oz. The size of the serving is 1 oz. (28 grams). I'd bet a bag of chips does not take you and S. 4-1/2 sittings (days) each to consume.

The US dietary fat guidelines are that the diet not exceed 30% of calories from fat (60 divided by 140 x 100). Each serving is 43%. It is high in fat, too high. 6 grams of fat are 1-1/2 pats of butter! If you consume the entire package between you at one sitting, you are eating 54 grams of fat, the equivalent of 13-1/2 pats of butter, or 4 Tablespoons of olive oil.

Look at the salt--one serving is 10% of the daily dietary recommendation from ALL the food you consume. If you consume the package, then you have just consumed 2,000 grams of sodium, or a whole teaspoon full of salt. All food contains sodium whether you add it or not.

Salt is the reason for appetite, which we like to call hunger. If you ate 800 calories a day of unsalted brown rice, you would have no hunger or cravings whatsoever; furthermore the excess weight on your frame would drop off you like water off a duck's back.

It may taste good, but, again, that is no criterion for good health.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home