Monday, October 08, 2007

what I'm watching now that there's no more Cubbies

I feel a little bit like I've lost a good friend with the Cubs no longer on every day. Worked and worked all day yesterday while S. did manual labor downstairs installing parquet flooring in the hallway. A test-run for the parquet we want to install in the kitchen. Not bad, not bad. Not great, mind you, but that's what accent rugs are for.

So after working all day and taking the girl for a nice long walk, I wanted to watch something. So I rented Stephanie Daley. I'd read about it somewhere and knew it was the kind of movie I'd want to see, so it'd been on my list in the back of my mind for a time when there was no more baseball. And indeed, last night there was no baseball. Well, the Yankees were on, but I'm a Red Sox fan in the American League.

Anyway, holy shit that movie was devastatingly beautiful. Devastating. Haunting. One of those movies that sticks with you and prods you when you least expect it. The way the movie captures what it's like to be 16, shy, clueless, and confused when a boy pays attention to you. Jesus. I almost had to look away. Rent it. Shit, buy it. And whatever you do, don't look away then or during the bathroom scene. Makes me shiver.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I'll put it in the queue...I really like Amber Tamblyn, too--Joan of Arcadia was an interesting show, for the most part.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home