Monday, February 18, 2008

I blame it on the meth-heads

I was so sick this weekend I couldn't vacuum.

That's how you know it's really bad.

I couldn't play Scramble, I couldn't eat anything, I couldn't get out of bed. But I also couldn't fall asleep because I was going back and forth between having the chills and sweating to death. So I asked my honey on Saturday morning to pick me up some liquid NyQuil. Clearly the gelcaps weren't hitting my system hard enough to knock me out.

Like a good honey, he got me cherry liquid NyQuil. It made me drowsy, but it didn't knock me out. Later in the day when I took another dose, it did nothing.

On Sunday, I felt better in the morning, but then it hit me again like a truck early afternoon. I threw up, had the shakes, and a headache to end all headaches. I ended up in the emergency room where they pumped me with fluids, took a chest x-ray, and confirmed that yes, I was probably there because of the meth-heads. Here's the reasoning:

Meth-heads use pseudoephedrine to make their meth.

Must make pseudoephedrine illegal, or at least hard to get.

Medicine makers give up on making it hard to get because their competition is making versions of the meds without pseudoephedrine, and nobody wants to wait in line to get the old stuff (though I would, thank you very much).

The new medicines for cold and flu symptoms SUCK. They're simply not as strong. They don't relieve the symptoms like pseudoephedrine did.

So it feels like you're dying when you've taken medicine that USED to help you but no longer does, so what else do you do but end up in the ER?

And when, by the way, did NyQuil become alcohol free? THAT'S. THE. WHOLE. POINT. OF. NYQUIL. Hello. I know. I just said it was the pseudoephedrine. IT'S BOTH.

Okay, do you really wanna know how to tell when it's bad? I canceled both classes today.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're feeling so awful. Snuggle up under the blankies with your doggies. The world will just have to manage without you while you take care of numero uno. Unfortunately, recovery just takes time.

shoe

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

My eldest sister swears by warm lemonade with tequila.

And, yes, I'm with you: every time I get a prescription filled, I stock up on generic pseudophedrine.

I'd wish something mean on those meth-heads, except, well, look at 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home