Sunday, March 23, 2008

peace

Here's my favorite pic of S. and his dad, taken last May at a Durham Bulls game.


S. was supposed to fly home to Bloomington on Friday afternoon. His flight from Raleigh to Detroit was cancelled. He was not happy, not one bit. His stepmom picked him up, and on their way back to the house, they got a call from the hospital telling them they needed to come right away.

His dad died Friday evening, ending a month of struggle spent in the hospital, first in the critical care unit and then in a regular room. He knew he was going to die, and he was at peace with it. S. and I got to spend a lot of quality time with him, and for that we are forever grateful. I told him what his son said about him: that he was the best person he's ever known. How many people can say that about a parent? And mean it?

I'm proud to have known him, to have had such an incredible person call me family.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Thanks for sharing the photograph. And you know how I don't believe in that "things happen for a reason" thing? Well, maybe this time I do. Being with someone at the end is a gift from the universe. And I've never really understood that til this moment, so thank you.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Sue_C said...

Amy,
I have to agree with Susan S. I've changed my mind about a lot of things I never used to believe. And I do believe that S was booked on that cancelled flight so that he could be with his dad in his final moments.

I also believe something else I never used to believe - that his dad will always be with him (and you), and that he'll find ways to let you know he's there.

Thanks for sharing the picture! S. looks just like his dad.

Sue

Oh yeah, your mother is YOUR mother. I'm not claiming her after THAT comment. Not that it surprises me much, unfortunately.

(Guess this is a long blog comment - oh well)

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Life is too short.

shoe

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heartfelt condolences to both of you. I'm glad S. could be there, and thanks for sharing the comment he made about his father. My thoughts are with you both.

Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home