Friday, February 29, 2008

I used to be funny

This morning at school, a conversation with a colleague who reads my blog regularly.

He: Amy's engaged.

Lots of people congratulate me.

He: You gotta read Amy's blog.

Me: I'm not funny anymore.

He: You haven't been in a long time, no.

He then gave me an out, what with all the doggie troubles that we went through in January.

But really, what's my problem? Probably seasonal depression. And, paradoxically, probably contentment. I have nothing to complain about, really, and it was usually those complaints that I could turn into funnies.

In other news, I had another version of a recurring dream last night. I had accepted a job at my undergraduate institution, Clark University. I was sitting through the new faculty orientation trying to remember if I'd be able to find my way back to my dorm room, when I realized that I didn't really want this job. I didn't want to be one of the only rhet/comp people on campus. I wanted my old job back. Badly. And so I asked one of my colleagues, who just happened to work at both schools, what she could do to get me my job back. She gave me a wink and assured me she'd take care of it.

Phew.

I was a pretty smart undergraduate, but I remember next to nothing about what I learned. I was so clueless about the world, about living. I look at my students now and I really don't think they're as clueless as I was. I wish I'd had a personal essay class then. I wish I'd saved more of my writing. Maybe that's why I keep having these dreams about teaching there.

See? None of this is funny.

3 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is always entertaining. I have two thoughts: maybe humor is something that ebbs and flows with the writing process (which is helpful to think about pedagogically, too). I imagine writers for Letterman and Leno go through less-funny periods. That's probably why they have a team. Maybe you could (1)ask a comedy writer what they do when the laughs aren't flowing as easily or (2) assemble your own team--kind of like guest bloggers or something, just to help you feel rejuvenated.

Looking from the outside in, things look good in your world! Keep dreaming those dreams!

Paul

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Miss H in China uses a guest blogger, who is often very funny--I think that's an excellent plan. I doubt I can get the GF to do that for me, though, since she thinks writing is a punishment sent by the gods to torment her...

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's going on with the assumptions? So, at times you are funny? Does that mean that you are supposed to be funny all of the time, but deprecatingly you have had a some tough times???????
Excuse me? You're a human being! If at times you're funny, that's super; if at times, you aren't, that's okay. You don't need a set of reasons to live up to someone else's overblown expectations. Who wants to be read just because they are funny? I'd rather be cared for and loved for myself, good, bad, and indifferent at times. Grrrrr!

You're okay.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home