Monday, March 23, 2009

my big girl

Since you've seen me last, Annabelle has earned a new nickname. I'm not really sure how it came about, but lately I've been calling her my "little baby big big." This morphs easily into simply "Big big" or, simply, "Big." When I write it out, it looks even sillier.

My big big girl has very bad arthritis in her left elbow. Bad arthritis in her right elbow, but REALLY bad in her left. This diagnosis became the lesser of two evils, the other evil being bone cancer. During that time I kept telling myself that it can't be cancer, it can't be cancer. Arthritis we can deal with. We can manage that pain. We can't manage the pain of bone cancer.

And it's true, we can manage this pain. But because of the way I learned about this diagnosis, I trained myself to think of it as not so bad, really. Not life-threatening, obviously. But it is incredibly painful for my baby. I'm begining to think she's had elbow dysplasia her whole life, that she was born with an elbow out of whack; this would explain the on-and-off limping after running really hard. She's only 7 1/2 and her arthritis isn't going to get any better. It's breaking my heart.

The fear of that cancer diagnosis prevented me from understanding the seriousness of this diagnosis. And I knew that even when I was saying to anyone who would listen that arthritis, we can deal with. Cancer not so much.

Nothing I wouldn't do for that girl. My little baby big big.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is she on glucosamine and chondroitin? Hers sounds pretty bad so I'm sure she's already on that or something stronger. If she's not though, you should try glucosamine and chondroitin. It's good for doggie arthritis. :)

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

Yup, with every meal we shove them down her little throat.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Rebecca Moore Howard said...

Just keep on loving loving loving her.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I'm so totally glad to know you are alive and well.

Second, do not feed her dairy products of any kind--read the labels on her food. Dairy is one of the major no-nos in humans. It doesn't necessarily follow that it would be bad in animals, but err on the safe side. No ice cream, no butter, no milk, no yogurt. They don't find that in the wild, so don't feed it in the kitchen. It is a humanly manufactured product. They could get together in a pack and kill an animal and eat it, but they sure as heck couldn't milk a cow or churn a churn to make butter, or find a means of fermenting milk.

So, so, so glad to see you back.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home