Monday, October 17, 2005

when writing sucks

Writing sucks when

1. You've been away from it for so long that the wrinkles on your forehead as you reread what you've written threaten to freeze that way. They threaten to join the wrinkles around your eyes because you're almost 33, the-age-of-the-death-of-our-lord-jesus.
2. You're so tired because you got out of bed in order to do this writing only to realize just how tired you really are. Should've stayed in bed, perhaps.
3. You know the argument so well that you can't explain it anymore.
4. It all seems so obvious. Do I really need to spell it out?
5. You can no longer spell the word plagiarism.
6. You read it over and over and over and can no longer see it.
7. All of this, plus you've got a collaborator depending on you to make some sense.

I will get it done. I will get it done. I think I can, I think I can, said the junior professor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home