Saturday, July 01, 2006

oh, the sense of responsibility...

So last year when I moved into this house, Julie Wonka gave me a beautiful tomato plant. I loved it and watered it for days, perhaps even weeks, until I finally gave into my instincts and killed it. It now sprouts a couple of dainty weeds from a ginormous teracotta pot. It. Is. Sad.

Last night Julia and I went out for a burger and then we watched a movie at her place. I don't know if I've blogged this yet, but Julia's moving in a couple weeks. On Annabelle's birthday, July 14, to be exact. She's taken a job at a small all-boys school in Virginia, but I'm thinking that if I kidnap Tucker or Callie, she won't be able to leave and all will return to normal. Except that Annabelle might not share her bed with them. We'll work it out. In any case, I am heartbroken that she's leaving me (like how it's all about me?) and as a way to show her how important her friendship is to me, I agreed to adopt four of her house plants.

Yes. You read that right. There are green things living in my house.

Three jade plants and one ivy. The smallest jade plant is named Sprout. I'm less likely to let him die if I name him.

But I can't promise anything. I will try. I will. But without someone hovering over me as I hover over the plants, I don't know that I'll know what to do when one of the plants looks sad or when one wants to cross the street by herself. I can probably spare a quarter for the ice cream truck, but I don't know about new Birkenstocks.

It does, it feels like I've got four little lives in my hands. Pray for me now and at the hour of their death amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home