Saturday, November 25, 2006

Leg warmers make a comeback


Leg wamers make a comeback!
Originally uploaded by aerobil.
I don't even want to go into the details because it's too exhausting, but Annabelle got attacked by an Akita on Thanksgiving day while she and S. and I were out for a walk. It was an absolutely gorgeous day--sunny and in the high 60's. And my poor poor baby girl, who did nothing wrong, ended up having to spend a couple hours at the emergency vet under general anesthesia to get stitches on both the inside and outside of her leg. In this photo the bandage has fallen down off the wound, so you can sort of see the outside wound. But if you click on the photo, I took close-ups of what that goddamn vicious dog did to her.

And now I just learned that little Miss Mittens, my dear friend Neecy's border collie, was attacked by three big dogs at the park yesterday. Three dogs who came with a woman and three other dogs. So yes, this ONE woman brought six dogs to the park and proceeded to pay no attention to any of them. Then tells Neecy that this is a dog park, these things happen.

Bottom line is our girls are okay. Belly's on antibiotics and pain meds for a week, and even now she seems fine. Putting all her weight on it, jumping on and off the bed with no trouble, running when I call her for a treat.

Stay tuned for funny blog posts soon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Some people have absolutely no regard for others. And should not be allowed to have dogs. So, while the Akita certainly misbehaved, I wanna know: where was the owner? Why wasn't the dog properly restrained? Puh-leeze, people--*you* are the grownup human with the legal responsibility. Butthead. Thpppllll.

There, I'm all out. I would get more pissed off, but since it won't actually accomplish anything, I'll save my energy to say, what a sweet Belly baby! The vet did a fine job stitching her up--I bet she won't even have a scar.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely the responsibilities of dog owners are spelled out in either your local ordinances or the state statutes. Did you report the incident to the police? You should have. If an unaccompanied dog will attack another large dog, can you imagine what that same stray dog will do to a child who wanders into a dog park?

Homeowners' insurance is certainly not happy with people who have vicious dogs.

You have to have dogcatchers or an SPCA branch somehwere in the Midwest that will address these problems.

Glad the girl survived--boy this has been some year for her--and you!

Shoe

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, here's what happened:

Amy needed to go to the store and was going to take her car. I suggested that we walk instead & take Belly, so she can get some exercise in.

We got to the store, and Amy went inside while I waited outside with Belly. We were on the grass, and in the parking lot (about 25-30 yards away) was a woman holding 2 dogs, an Akita and a smaller dog (I think it was a Newfoundland mix).

After a few minutes (Amy was still inside the store), a man came out (I don't know if he was the woman's boyfriend, husband, or what) and took the Akita, while the woman had the smaller dog. They started coming over to us (I'm not sure why; they didn't say anything) and the dogs came up to sniff Belly (I was always told to NEVER approach a strange dog without asking the owner's permission and verifying the dog is friendly).

The smaller dog was very nice, but as soon as the Akita sniffed once, he growled and lunged at Belly, )who was just standing there sniffing), and bit her on the leg. The man pulled off the Akita, and I pulled Belly away. He never actually apologized (his comment was "he's a typical Alpha male) but at least he came over to see if she was all right. I couldn't find any injury, so I said I thought he just scared Belly.

After the couple and the dogs left, I was feeling Belly's leg and saw that the skin was broken. While Amy and I were walking back home, she noticed the bite on the inside of her leg.

I blame myself for not getting their information, but I couldn't see that Belly was hurt until after they left. Regardless, I can't understand why someone would approach a strange dog with their own dogs without making sure it was okay.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Nels P. Highberg said...

Poor Belly! I wouldn't have gotten information in that situation either. Our dog is very antisocial, and we hate when other dogs come up to her. We don't go to dog parks because they make her nervous, so any dog off a leash running up to her is breaking the law, and it happens a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home