Saturday, November 18, 2006

my honey the handyman

The other day I'm over at S.'s house and he's going through his mail. From my vantage point of about five yards away, I see a neon orange envelope with his name in huge black letters telling him he's won something or other.

me: What'd ya win, a million bucks?

S.: I can get a free gift!

me: Whatever it is, we don't need it. [gotta love that "we" here]

S.: I like free gifts. I can get a 14-in-one tool complete with a flashlight if I sign up for the Handyman Club of America. And it's only a dollar a month.

me: The Handyman Club of America. Um, honey? You're not exactly a handyman.

S.: They must've heard about me fixing the toilet all by myself.

me: Exactly. I called and told them because I was so damn proud.

S.: It's only a dollar a month and I get a free gift. Free stuff is good. It's like getting 13 things free plus a flashlight.

And so it goes, my battle with the hoarder I love so dearly. When he wasn't looking I threw away the membership stuff. A dollar a month is not enough to make this man into a handyman. So we'll save that and put it towards the girls' college edumacation.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, it was a 7-in-1 tool with flashlight, ad 4-in-1 tape measure, or a 3-piece screw retractor set (I would have taken the 7-in-1 tool with flashlight). And I think Amy's just jealous because they didn't send her anything in the mail to join!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Believe me. I've been married 35 years. He belongs to it! He scans the ads for the Craftsmen's sales at Sears. His only complaint is when they have saws on sale and he doesn't need another one!

You are micromanaging! Let him be! He likes free stuff. Let him have free stuff. If is your joint house and there is no place to store it--then it's negotiable. If you have your place and he has his place, butt out!

Shoe

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to defend Amy about her last post. I do appreciate Shoe's comments, but I wanted to make sure that people don't think that Amy is trying to boss me around. We have several running jokes that we tease each other with all the time. One of them is my penchant for buying things that I don't need. We pick on each other about these things pretty much on a daily basis, so please, everyone believe me when I say that neither of us are being serious about this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home