Friday, November 10, 2006

perks

This semester I've signed on as a faculty mentor for a floor of a women's dorm here on campus. The idea is to encourage faculty-student interaction and mentorship outside of any kind of evaluation. I'm hoping one of the things I can teach them this year is how to laugh REALLY LOUDLY in order to get people wondering what's so damn funny. Keep 'em wondering: that's my new motto.

Okay, not really.

Anyway, I got an email this morning from the RA on my floor asking me if I wanted to come to the cookie-baking event at the end of the month. Um, yes I do. As long as I can eat half of them and take the other half home for me and Belly to share.

The RA asked me to RSVP as soon as I could because--get this--if I show up for the event, they get more funding. I never thought I'd see the day when my very presence at an event translated to the ability to purchase more sugar. Yet, here is that moment. I have arrived.

I wrote back to her and said that yes, I'd be there as long as I get an entire tub of sprinkles to myself as we're decorating. Poor thing never thought she'd see the day when a faculty mentor was more demanding than the women on her floor.

Arrival, indeed. It's yummy at the top.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger bdegenaro said...

Good for you. I really value those out-of-class opportunities with students. (Lets me kid myself into believing I'm still 20 yrs old!).

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sugarsugarsugarsugarsugar

i'm not pms-ing, no not me

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

Sob! We MISSED YOU at OUR cookie party this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home