Wednesday, November 08, 2006

office hour

In the last hour I

1. helped a student with ideas for her presentation--then she told me a story about a customer who brought her an entire bag of mint M&Ms when she (the student) worked at a gas station. She had mentioned to this customer that she remembers these M&Ms from her childhood, but that clearly they don't make them anymore. When the customer brought her the big bag of them, she said to the customer, "I'd hug you if it didn't get me fired."

2. granted an incomplete to a student who is suffering from depression. I wanted to give her a hug because I UNDERSTAND. That is, I'd've hugged her if it wouldn't get me fired.

3. turned down the opportunity to talk with a reporter from the student newspaper about plagiarism. Irresponsible, I know. But a) I really don't have the time (but I have time to blog about it) and b) every other faculty member I know who's granted an interview to this paper has regretted it. One student quoted Julie Wonka as saying that she once wanted to be a doctor, but BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T LIKE TO TOUCH THINGS, she went into rhetoric. Um, yeah.

4. listened to a colleague recite this week's (THIS WEEK'S) poem that she's written for her kitty, whose name is, drum roll, Miss Kitty. I nearly peed during this performance.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Nels P. Highberg said...

Now, if hugging students is wrong, then I'm in trouble.

What a day...or hour...you've had!

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I AM a doctor!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home