Sunday, April 30, 2006

Pooh's not normal after all

Recall my post from a couple weeks ago in which I marvelled at the psychology of all the Pooh characters. This was my primary care doctor who clued me into my true identity as an Eeyore (hmmm....I wonder if C's would accept a panel on identity and Winnie the Pooh). When I saw my therapist on Friday, I of course told her about the whole Pooh thing, and she made me feel better because, though of course she could figure it out, she hadn't heard about their diagnoses either. So I went through the list with her, including this time Kanga and Roo--Roo being the underdeveloped ego and Kanga having some issues with identifying herself entirely as a mother--and I told her the part about Pooh being normal, surrounded by a bunch of freaks (this last point made her laugh).

She: Pooh's not normal.

Me: He does get stuck a lot and he's all about that h-u-n-n-y.

She: Tell Dr. P. next time you see him that I think Pooh's got an eating disorder.

How you know you've made some progress and won't be needing to see your therapist quite so regularly: she asks you to tell your other doctor that he's wrong about Pooh's diagnosis and, in fact, she'd like to see Pooh to talk about his eating disorder.

And we've come full circle, it seems.

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I'm reminded of several years ago, when I tried to listen to The Road Less Traveled on audiotape while driving to Seattle from Bellingham (it's one of those classics, so I thought it was worth a try). And one of the first sentences was (roughly): "All of us are more or less mentally ill." And all I could think was, what an assumption to begin with. Why not, all of us experience mental health in different forms and to different degrees? Why not begin with a celebration of the diversity of "normal." Needless to say, I turned it off and listened to the radio the rest of the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home