Monday, December 19, 2005

the joys of the season

Dog park, Saturday morning. Cold but not frigid. Four or five of us are walking very slowly around the park's perimeter for two reasons: 1) to avoid freezing to death, and 2) to make those dogs run alongside us. So we're just chit-chatting about this and that when Sharon says, "Do you ever talk to your dog through a wrapping-paper roll?"

Sarah: I love sentences that begin that way.

What I love about that question was its out-of-nowhere-ness. The question sounded as everyday as "Do you give your dog rawhide?" And yet.

Oh, and this is good, too. When I told Hillary this little funny, she laughed out loud. Took a breath. Said, "I think I'll try that with Monster Cat."

It's not even officially winter and we're talking about talking to our animals through wrapping paper rolls for entertainment. Oh, it's gonna be a long one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home