Tuesday, December 13, 2005

ostrich gives birth

Hillary's sister, Hope, is very very pregnant with twins and should be giving birth to them even as I blog. Everyday I get a phone call from Hillary, during which I ask, "Babies?!" to her reply of "No, for chrissakes." These are the only twins I've ever heard of (and I've heard of LOTS of twins being born, let me tell you) that have literally gone full term. Due on the 15th! Poor Hope.

Anyway, when Hillary and I were talking this morning, I said that I was scared of all the blood and goop that comes with giving birth. Then we started reminiscing to the good ol' days when Hillary first learned she was pregnant with Regan. The first thought to enter my mind was how painful it was going to be to give birth. Ouch and double ouch. The conversation progressed as follows:

H: During the entire birthing experience with Nolan, I had my eyes closed.
Me: So that you wouldn't see the blood and goop?
H: Because if I closed my eyes, then it would be like other people weren't there. It's the equivalent of sticking my head in the sand.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I used to be able to do this by taking my glasses off. The world was a blur, and it really really felt like I was a blur to them, too.

And of course, one is invisible while riding in cars. That's how one can safely pick one's nose.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read in the Smithsonian that "Ostiches don't bury their heads in the sand. They merely lower their heads to the ground to avoid detection while keeping an eye out for danger". I was under the impression (though can't say fer sure 'cause I never personally MET an ostich)they were 7 feet tall? I guess the idea of not being "detected" remains the same. I am quite near the 7-foot mark though I prefer the phrase "Sssh. Quiet" vs. the juvenile sticking your fingers in your ears with your eyes closed singing "lalalalalalalalala".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home