Saturday, December 17, 2005

when I don't blog, I miss it

I miss it, and I'm constantly blogging in my head, but it only makes it here if it's good enough or interesting enough or funny enough. What I'll post today--in large part because I miss posting--will be none of these.

A quiet Friday night at home. The plan: make dough for sugar cookies so that it can refrigerate overnight. Drink a glass of wine and read on the couch. In the afternoon, Julia and I had gone to see Pride and Prejudice, the book version of which I'm embarrassed to say I've never read. I enjoyed it but don't feel the urge to run out and get the book as I did when I got out of Capote (which, my friends, never did make it to Bloomington-Normal, so I don't have high hopes for Brokeback Mountain ever making it here either). So, back to cookie dough. I get out the bowl, I get out the mixer, and the lights go out. Not all the lights. The back porch light is working, for instance. The refrigerator is still running. But the kitchen lights and the office and the basement and the bedroom--all out. So I call my landlord, who was just sitting down to a quiet Friday evening after working all day. He comes over, Annabelle smothers him with hugs and kisses, and he changes the fuse in the basement. By the time he leaves, it's 8:30 or so, so I make the cookie dough but I'm no longer in the mood, so now it's just a chore. I lift the mixer too high at one point and pieces of unformed dough go flying. Belly's happy with egg-sugar-flour goo on the floor. There really is no end to this story--nothing good, nothing funny. It just is. I finished making the dough, put it in the fridge, got my glass of wine (or 2) and read for a few hours.

Today I'll bake the damn cookies (can you say PMS?) and they'll be cute and pretty and I'll take them to Bill's house tonight.

Oh, here's a piece of good news: Ron Fortune and I sent off our plagiary/forgerism article this week. Hoo. Rah. That feels good.

I know you miss me when I don't post, but sometimes it just doesn't come out all pretty and nice. One thing we can say about this post is that it's not about farts or butt-plucks. Amen to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home